Austin Straubel Airport Installation Partnership
Interior or Exterior of Austin Straubel International Airport
The Art Garage and Titletown come together in search for one or more artist(s) or artists’ team(s) to develop a public art piece to be displayed at Austin Straubel International Airport!
- Community friendly - community members must be able to be involved
- Easy to maintain
- Low maintenance
- If outdoors, able to withstand the elements
- Budget of $1,250 or less
Possibilities include, but not limited to:
- Functional Art (kid friendly)
- Hanging Art
- Mosaic walkway
About Austin Straubel Airport
Green Bay–Austin Straubel International Airport, is a county owned public use airport in Brown County, Wisconsin, United States, which serves Northeastern Wisconsin. The airport is located seven nautical miles (13 km) southwest of downtown Green Bay, in the village of Ashwaubenon. It is included in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2019–2023, in which it is categorized as a non-hub primary commercial service facility. It sits on portions of land encompassing Green Bay and the Oneida Nation of Wisconsin's Indian reservation. It has two runways and is used for commercial air travel and general aviation. There are two concourses with six gates each.
The airport is named for Lt. Col. Austin Straubel, the first aviator from Brown County to lose his life in his country's service on February 3, 1942, after having served for thirteen years in the United States Army Air Corps. The airport name was officially changed to Green Bay–Austin Straubel International Airport on August 17, 2016.
Green Bay–Austin Straubel International Airport is the fourth busiest of eight commercial airports in Wisconsin in terms of passengers served. Also known to be "The Gateway to Lambeau", it is one of two airports mainly utilized for people traveling to Lambeau Field, the other being Appleton International Airport, about 20 miles (32 km) to the southwest.
In collaboration with the Titletown, The Art Garage is in search for an interesting and unique design concept for a public art installation that will be displayed and/or placed at the Austin Straubel International Airport, located in Green Bay, WI. We are looking to hire an artist or team to design and create a public art piece, keeping in mind that we are requiring that Green bay and surrounding community members be involved in the creation of the project. This project scope must include all aspects of your full design, including lighting, landscaping, and or any other details necessary to your overall vision. Artist(s) are required to submit a budget of $1,250.00 or less, that will cover the artwork design, fabrication, materials, installation, travel, community engagement gatherings and other related expenses.
All and any artists or artist-led teams are eligible to apply. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and reside in the United States. Artists must be willing to meet all contractual obligations, adhere to a strict timeline, and are subject to a background check.
THE VISION + WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
• Design and produce a public art piece that generates a fun and lively public space at the airport that creates a unique sense of place.
• Create excitement and interest for Green Bay and surrounding area community members. Appeal to a mass audience who can be involved in some way.
• Increase public awareness of art; expose and engage the community in the creation process.
• The artist must be available for any major repairs if needed in the future.
• Artists must provide previous samples of work to illustrate style, qualifications and experiences.
• Artists should provide any other information relevant to the ensured success of their project.
• All application requirements must be submitted on or before the application deadline.
PROJECT TIMELINE | PROCESS
Call Released: April 17, 2020
Submission deadline: July 3, 2020
Panel review: July 6, 2020
Artist notified: TBD
Installation: January 2021 (exact date/time TBD)
HOW SELECTIONS WILL BE MADE
An Airport Art Installation Selection Committee will be created by The Art Garage. The committee will consist of a minimum of two representatives from The Art Garage, a City Public Art Committee member, two representatives from Titletown, and at least one representative from Austin Straubel International Airport. The Selection Committee members will serve through the completion of this project. Their duties will include the review and feedback regarding artist selections and concepts based on set criteria and complete applications.
Project Budget: $1,250.00
All budgets should include artwork design, fabrication, materials, installation, travel, community engagement construction gatherings and other related expenses. This will also include our hourly wage for the community engagement gathering times.
- Have name/contact information displayed on plaque at Austin Straubel International Airport
- Receive hourly payments during community engagement "meetings" at Titletown
Submissions must be received as one (1) complete application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Airport Art Installation Partnership Application”. All responses must be submitted via email.
The application submission must include the information described below, all of which are required to constitute a complete application. There is no fee to apply.
1. Artist Statement of Interest: (1,000 character maximum) Submission must include an Artist Statement of Interest that outlines a general interest in this opportunity.
2. Resume: (3,000 character maximum) Please include a current resume that outlines your accomplishments as an artist.
3. Images of past work: Visual representations of past artwork that demonstrate your qualifications for this project. Submit up to a total of 4 images of completed projects and brief descriptions. Proposal images from previous projects may be submitted, but should be clearly marked as proposals. If submitting as a team, all members must be represented in the visual submittal.
4. Descriptions of past work: Include a list of the submitted images with descriptions that clearly explain both the projects and the images. Please indicate Title, Date, Location, Dimensions, Significant Materials, and Budget (if a public commission). If you were a member of a team, please indicate your role.
5. Proposal images or design: Include image you are proposing for your selected area. Please name the image (Proposal_Image_YourName). Up to three (3) proposed works can be submitted per application.
6. Description of Proposal Images: Include a list of the submitted images with descriptions that clearly explain the concept, artwork, medium, etc.
7. Budget: Provide a detailed description of the total budget to perform the services. The budget shall identify in separate detail the following: artwork design, fabrication, materials, installation, travel, community engagement gatherings and other related expenses totaling a maximum of $1,250.00.
For further information, contact Tristin St. Mary, Director, Administrative Manager at The Art Garage, at email@example.com.